Everything I never knew about fingernails and toenails from Healthy Living.
- The part of your nail you file, buff and paint is the nail plate. It’s a hard structure, made up of many layers of keratin and sits atop the nail bed.
- The uppermost, white part of the nail is the distal edge; it’s comprised of old, hardened cells.
- The bottommost part of the nail is the matrix. This is the only living part of the nail and is where the keratin and cells are produced.
- The cuticle (eponychium) protects the matrix.
- The white, half-moon shape at the base is called the lunula. That’s the visible part of the matrix.
I learn something new every day.