Great list of oddities from Yasmine Hafiz:
Some states take their religious services very seriously. Breaking these laws could send you straight from the chapel to the cooler for something as simple as a sneeze.
- Alabama – It is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church
- Mississippi – Private citizens may arrest anyone who disturbs a church service
- Nebraska – In Omaha, it’s illegal to sneeze or burp during a church service
- Ohio – It is against the law to kill a housefly within 160 feet of a church without a license.
- West Virginia – In Nicholas County, no clergy members may tell jokes or humorous stories from the pulpit during church services
And, finally, North Carolina where it is illegal to have sex in a churchyard.