Dave Mark likes Google’s new Gboard keyboard for iPhone.
- Though some folks have complained that the Roboto font looks out of place (it does look different, no doubt), I actually prefer it. It’s drawn with finer lines and I find it easier to read (and detect boldface in) the suggested text.
- I love the use of boldface in the suggested text. If one of the 3 suggested words is in boldface, hit a space and that word is entered. Hit a backspace and it goes back to what was there before. Sort of like the standard keyboard, but the standard keyboard requires an additional tap to get back to what was there.
- I love slide typing. It works especially well for long words. I have yet to successfully type the word GIF with slide typing, though. Pilot error?
- GIF searching is a nice bonus. I don’t use a lot of GIFs in my tweets, but likely this is because it was too much of a hassle. Gboard makes it super easy to find the GIF you want. Maybe too easy?
- And then, of course, there’s search. Perhaps the best feature of all. Tap the search button, type in your search, tap a result and it’s in your text. Easy peasy.
It’s another way for Google to keep you using more of Google.