Steve Lehto with a look at 10 of the rarest and fastest American muscle cars ever.
In high school, I drove a 1969 Dodge Charger and spent many wasted evenings driving up and down a stretch of Woodward Avenue, just north of Detroit, stopping occasionally for ice cream at a stand near 14 Mile. In those days, we knew which cars were fast and sometimes we even drove next to them to see whose car was faster. But even then, we all knew of legendary muscle cars which were really fast.
- 1968 Hurst Hemi Dart L023
- 1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Drag Pack
- 1970 American Motors Rebel Machine
- 1969 Chevy Camaro COPO ZL1
- 1962 Pontiac Catalina Super Duty
- 1967 Dodge Coronet W023
- 1970 Plymouth ‘Cuda Hemi Super Track Pack
- 1946 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt
- 1963 Chevy Z-11 Impala
- 1970 Buick Skylark GSX Stage 1
The author’s age bias shows. About half of these are far more rare than they were fast.