No surprises on this list from CR.
Consumer Reports anonymously buys all the cars it formally tests, about 60 per year. That way, we can maintain our independence and test cars with the trim and options people actually buy rather than the special versions that manufacturers want to showcase… Formal testing is done at our track in Connecticut and on surrounding public roads. The evaluation consists of more than 50 individual tests. Some are objective instrumented track tests using state-of-the-art electronic gear that yield empirical findings. Others are subjective evaluations, tests conducted by our experienced engineering staff.
The Spoiler Alert:
- Best Subcompact Car: Honda Fit
- Best Compact Cars: Volkswagen Golf
- Best Midsized Car: Subaru Legacy
- Best Large Car: Chevrolet Impala
- Luxury Compact Car: Audi A4
- Luxury Midsized/Large Car: Tesla Model S
- Best Sporty Car: BMW M235i
- Best Minivan: Chrysler Pacifica
Cars from everywhere. Even Chrysler.